I heated up my sparge water to a little over 170*F in order to heat the grain bed up to a mash-out of 170*F. My sparge thickness was 2 qt/lb, which brought the water level to the top of the mash tun.
After run-off from the mash and sparge, ended up collecting about 8.25 gals or wort. Plan was to hit around 8 gals and boil down to around 5.5 gals to leave 0.5 gal of trub.
After the boil I added the last of the hops and cooled down to 70*F in 15mins. Over all easy brew day... Hit my numbers without any road blocks or problems. I did take this opportunity to calibrate my hydrometer and the refractometer that I got from my loving wife for Christmas.
Using distilled water I found out that my hydrometer I have been using for years is off by 4 gravity points! While my new refractometer is spot on and thanks to some calculations I found online I can completely replace my hydrometer with my refractometer. With the O.G. at 1.055 that should put us right around 5% ABV.
This was one of the fastest fermentation times I have ever seen! I brewed this on a Saturday and it was finished by Monday afternoon. I took a gravity reading and got 1.020, which was a little high for what I wanted. So I pitched some amylase enzyme and over the course of next few days, took it down to 1.014 which was right in line with what I wanted.