|Pre-Heating the Mash-tun and the strike water|
After running two rounds of batch sparges I collected 8.25 gals of wort into the brew kettle and started the boil. I also started the process of cooling off a sample to test for mash efficiency. I ended up getting 79% efficiency on this batch. I was estimating 75% so my expected numbers ended up looking close. My SG after mash-out was 1.042 with 8.25 gals. My plan was to boil for 60 mins and then further if needed to end up with 6 gals in the kettle. Estimating 0.5 gals loss due to trub resulting in 5.5 gals in the fermenter.
|Starting boil - hot break starting to show|
|Wyeast Thames Valley II|
|Top: Just dropped in the wort-chiller, Bottom Left: recirculating ice water bath, Bottom Right: Cold Break|
|Transferring to the fermenter and adding oxygen|
|OG of 1.059|
|6.5 gal carboy in a wine chiller that I converted to a temperature controlled fermentation chamber|
Well, RIP ESB. After a week of sampling and contemplation, I have decided to give this batch the dump. This will be only the second time I have ever dumped a batch. Turns out that the package of yeast I used was old and weak. I would have needed to pitch triple the amount or had made a starter with this yeast. With the yeast being stressed it created a cloudy product (That won't clear) that taste as best I describe it like a Moldy/Musty rag. All is not lost because I did shed some light as to the reason for previous failed batch. So brewing lesson of the day: Check the date on the yeast and be sure to pitch the proper amount of yeast.